Stuart Brisley - performance artist, painter, writer and teacher - achieved notoriety in the 1960s and '70s for his disturbing physical performances, but his work has extended over four decades and has also embraced painting, print, sculpture, installation, films and fictions and large-scale participatory projects. He has exhibited and performed internationally, primarily in Britain and Europe.
Stuart Brisley: Works 1958-2006 was held at England & Co in 2006. An early assemblage wall relief was acquired from the exhibition by The Henry Moore Institute, Leeds Museums & Galleries (with assistance from The Art Fund). In 2008, Brisley exhibited drawings and sculpture in the gallery exhibition Persistent Obsessions. The artist's second solo exhibition at England & Co, Stuart Brisley, was held in October 2009, when he concurrently exhibited films and performance photographs with the gallery at the Zoo art fair. A drawing from this exhibition was subsequently included in Modern Times: Responding to Chaos at Kettle's Yard, Cambridge and the De la Warr Pavillion, Bex Hill, UK (2010).
The British Museum acquired five works by Brisley addressing political issues from England & Co in 2008; and in 2010, Tate added to their existing holding of his work with the purchase from England & Co of an early painting and the film Arbeit Macht Frei.
Stuart Brisley: Works 1958-2006 Exhibition catalogue/monograph published by England & Co: 56 pages, 56 works and performances illustrated in colour and b/w, 2 further b/w illustrations. Introduction by Jane England; Essay: 'Fragments - Stuart Brisley's films and videos' by Sandrine Meats; Extensive chronology, exhibitions, selected bibliography including selected sound tapes and videos. (ISBN 1 902046 36 6). Copies available - contact the gallery.
Mixed media installation
37 x 96 x 96 inches
Installation at England & Co in Stuart Brisley, 2009.
Installation with mixed media
Installation at England & Co in Persistent Obsessions, 2008.
Wall relief, mixed media construction
51 x 31.5 inches
Acquired from England & Co by the Henry Moore Institute collection, Leeds Museums & Galleries.